- September 8th marks the opening of the 2022 NFL season. That means it’s time to get your NFL Football Pool picks in. I know, I know. You are only in a confidence pool and the only reason you play is for bragging rights. Riiiiggghhhttt! Regardless the Fund recommends making some picks right now, you know, just in case you get busy. Plus, you can always change them later.
- September 10th - Happy Moon Festival. The very same weekend the NFL season begins, millions will be celebrating the Mid-Autumn Festival, aka, the Mooncake festival. It’s a little like thanksgiving for certain cultures. This is as good of a reason as any to grab some of your favorite Japanese, Chinese, Indonesian, Korean, Malaysian or Philippine cuisine. So gather around family and friends, enjoy their company, the food and anything that is “lunaresque”. (Is that an actual word??) Don’t forget the mooncake and tea! It’s not only considered a delicacy but a tradition.
- September 11th. As you know, on Tuesday, September 11th, 2001, the terrorist group al-Qaeda coordinated a series of attacks on the United States utilizing hijacked aircraft. This resulted in 2,996 people being killed. Today please take a moment to remember those who died that day, and those first responders who selfishly toiled that day, and in the ensuing weeks, months, and years within the various crash sites who have since died and/or are now inflicted with conditions caused by the toxic fumes and materials of those sites. Better yet, sport the Red, White and Blue today so as to honor these people and their families, and to remind people that the United States is still the greatest county in the world and that we remain and stand united.
- September 19th, 2022. What are you trying to do, get into the Guinness Book of World Records for most membership meetings missed? Come-on, stop being stingy and grace us with your presence for a change. Moreover, bring another member. The membership meeting starts promptly at 6:00 P.M.
- September 22nd. For most American’s Labor Day marks the last day of summer. However, it isn’t. For 2022, the official last day of summer is Thursday, September 22nd. Which means you have seventeen (17) more glorious days of summer. Ta-dah!
Seventeen days is nice, however, are you really going to let some time construct of 1582 (yes, I am talking about you, Gregorian calendar) dictate how you should be? I thought not. So why are you repressing your inner Spicoli? Do you really need an invitation to keep sporting your flip-flops, “que-ing up”, rocking’ with the top-off, and having Marley, Buffett and Chesney on rotation? You do? Ok, I officially invite you to view all the seasons more as a verb, as something you do, rather than a time you just go through to get to another time. Now, go out and embrace life. Oh, two more things, don’t forget your sunscreen….. and bring another member with you to the next membership meeting.
- September 30th. If you need to make a self-payment to the Health and Benefit Plan in order to continue your coverage under that Plan for the last coverage quarter of 2022, today is the last day to do that. Make certain that the Fund Office has your payment no later than 4:30 P.M. on this day.
- October 16th thru October 28th denotes the 60th anniversary of the Cuban missile crisis. Which for the uninitiated, was the closest the United States and Russia, came to a nuclear conflict. There is a lot to this crisis, including U.S. forces being placed on DEFCON2, a U.S. U-2 reconnaissance plane being shot down over CUBA, the involvement of the United Nations, as well as a level of diplomacy not seen since and much, much more.
Regardless of your level of interest, sometime during those thirteen days, take a moment to reflect and to count your blessings. Had thermonuclear war occurred, there is a rather strong likelihood that allot of us would not be here.
By the way, and despite what is commonly taught and/or believed, the Cuban missile crisis was ultimately resolved through clandestine discussions in which Russia agreed to remove its nuclear missiles from CUBA if the United States agreed to remove its Jupiter missiles from Turkey. Fact.
- October 17th, 2022. This evening you can realize a personal best record not achieved since you were an apprentice. Plus, it would also mark a 100% improvement. There are not many things in life where you can gain both at the same time. What am I talking about? Why, attending this evening’s membership meeting of course.
Were you really considering missing this meeting because you wanted to watch the Bronco’s and Chargers play on Monday Night Football? Seriously? Guess what, you can do both. So no excuses. And like last month, bring another member. That’s the new gold standard. So up your game and go for the gold. The membership meeting begins at 6:0o. P.M.
- On November 9th we will celebrate 33 years since the Berlin Wall fell. Similar to the Cuban missile crisis, what occurred out of common sight had more to do with that wall coming down when it did, than anything else. Further, and believe it or not, it could also have everything to do with the current war in the Ukraine and the effect that has had on the world’s food supply, our rising inflation, and the current downturn in the stock market, at least part of it. That’s one “helluva” long tail…...!
Nevertheless, November 9th is a day to celebrate the reunification of Germany and reflect upon the fact that in the not-so-distant past, things were not like they are now. So as fascinating as the real story behind the dismantling of the wall is, and it is exactly that, I knowingly and nevertheless will leave you hanging because, well, I assume you are tired of reading, and I am tired of writing. Suffice to say, it explains a bit of the thinking behind why the war began. But, and spoiler alert, it neither excuses nor justifies the war.
- November 21st, 2022. Look at you. Go ahead, take a gander. You hardly recognize yourself. However, you like what you see. Am I right? Guess what, from the perspective that you are now attending meetings with some frequencies, and are bringing another member with you, were digging you a bit more as well. Keep it up and arrive before 6:00 P.M. for a bite to eat prior to the membership meeting.
- December 19th, 2022. Don’t believe in peace on earth and good will to men? Can’t be bothered to wish your fellow tradespersons a Happy Holiday and a Happy New Year in person? Of course not. It’s not like you’re Ebenezer Scrooge or his partner, Jacob Marley.
Or ….. are you? We have to ask as you have been quite miserly as it relates to coming to these monthly meetings, at least the ones without the “sweet” give-a-ways. So why not be a Christmas miracle by grabbing another Union member and come to tonight’s meeting?
Don’t know anyone else? Don’t have a friend that is also a IBEW 697 member? Then come alone and make some new friends. The meeting begins at 6:00 P.M.
- December 20th. Only five days to Christmas. If you have not already, better get it into gear as there are only a few more days to prepare. Further, its only eleven days to New Year’s Eve, better get cranking on those resolutions. First amongst them should be to attend no less than six membership meetings in 2023 and to bring a fellow IBEW 697 member along with you to each.
- December 30th, 2022. 12:00 P.M. today is the last opportunity participants will have to make a self-payment to continue their eligibility in the Health and Benefit Plan within the first quarter of coverage in 2023. Participants whose payments are not received by the Fund Office on or before 12:00 P.M. on Friday, December 30th, 2022, will lose eligibility in the Plan.
- December 31st. Don’t forget to hydrate pre & post celebration.